Monday, March 21, 2011

how bizarre! how bizarre!

i had a very surreal night on sunday. Carolina ended up coming over sunday night and we went NEXT DOOR to the persian restaurant. where we had mast o khiar ba noon lavash and then she got a juje/zereshk polo. and I caved and got ghorme sabzi. I was really determined to eat sabzi polo mahi o kuku, but, ghorme sabzi always wins. the food was GREAT. AND CHEAP! THE CHEF WORKED FOR 10 YEARS AT RESTURANE ALBORZ in Tehran!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is this a joke?? i dont even think i can fully comprehend what just happened to me. i mean, there was the mr. kebab restaurant but at least that was far and kind of spendy so i couldnt go there all the time. i honestly dont know if this is the best or worst thing that could possibly happen to me. i´m going to be obese and poor very soon. but happy.

 so we stayed there until 1am and celebrated sal tahvil with all these really nice, yet really foreign iranians we met just a few hours ago. well, actually, Behzaad i met back in october when i went to a doner kebab place, and then the other night i was returning home, late at like 1 am and i was opening the door to my apartment building and there was some guy shouting things at me in spanish...who the hell is this? another drunk spaniard? i ignored him and went into my building. then he ran up to the door and was like "dont you remember me?" in farsi. and i was like oh hey! and he told me they were opening up NEXT DOOR. and the first words out of my mouth were "do you have ghorme sabzi?". (seriously, when i die, serve ghorme sabzi at my funeral please. and also maybe mix some in with my ashes in the urn.) apparently they had a huge chahar shanbe suri party that i totally missed last week. lame. next year, definitely. and then he invited me for eid the next day. so i went and my brain exploded because 1) i hadnt spoken that much farsi in a while. AND 2) normally, i drop an english word here or there...i couldnt do that because they only spoke farsi and spanish, i had to sprinkle in SPANISH WORDS.... seriously my brain was having an aneurysm because i feel like when my farsi gets good my spanish gets bad and when my spanish gets good my farsi worsens...but this was 2 languages that were not english, that is obviously my best language...and i could FEEL my brain folding in half...to make the farsi part combine with the spanish part. (it actually felt like someone was making origami out of my brain or something) and like, someone would say something in farsi, then id say something in english to carolina, then it was like a half farsi half spanish sentence, then someone would just start saying something in only spanish. and i know i definitely made a few sentences with all 3 languages in it. and it was so fun to use my brain like that. i hadnt ever used all 3 of my languages simultaneously before. what a trip. lets do it again! um, so it was eid, which was bitter-sweet-bizarre-familiar-foreign and i didnt have a camera to take pictures, so im not even sure if last night happened it was so surreal. and then i went home and realized the 8, o, i, and l keys on my computer arent working. so I have to sprint home today and catch a bus to Xanadú... which is 23 km sw of madrid city center, to go to the only apple store in the province of madrid to get my computer fixed. which means no gym today :(

elena leaves for barcelona for 2 weeks today also :'( going to miss her terribly.

and i have a violent cough (maybe it'll give me a 6-pack?) that is emitted from the deepest crevices of my lungs' alveoli...and i sneeze (actually quite fun) a lot and my head sinuses feel heavy, and my face feels stuffy. SO i went to an herbolario (spain totally beleives in naturopathic medicine which i love because being persian, and then goign to college in eugene...i also believe in the power of natural medicine and not just going to the pharmacy the instant any ailment shows itself) and got some natural medicine that tastes REALLY good, actually. and am taking that and will hopefully stop coughing very soon. because it disrupts my sleep at night (and im sure my room mates').

and i went to a fruteria and bought nice fresh parseley and cilantro and green onions and will be making sabzi polo mahi va kuku on wednesday!

lately, ive noticed ive been chronicling my days. Maybe it´s not the most interesting thing for blog posts, but i guess this is because i feel like so much is happening and i dont want to forget it ever...so i just write about it here.

HAPPY SPRING AND HAPPY PERSIAN NEW YEAR!
X

No comments:

Post a Comment