Thursday, December 16, 2010

DIY: raising decent kids

I used to wonder [alot] about how to raise decent kids. I really look up to my parents and respect them as people who raised a really healthy and successful family/kids...also, lets me honest, they really lucked out, cuz my sister and i were angel-children. [i believe the height of my terrible twos was captured on video when i lightly stuck my finger in the side of my sisters birthday cake because I wanted some frosting, my dad over reacted to say the least.... and the  peak of my teenage rebellion phase involved me picking the state flower {california poppy} which is technically "illegal". what a rebel I am.] Anyway...

I still think my parents did really well and I always worried if I would be as good a parent as they were. I used to wonder how to even begin establishing a solid foundation for kids to develop from...

Having worked in a school with children from ages 6-12 for 3 months, I feel like those questions are starting to be answered. Here are a few of the most important traits that I have identified that are common to my favorite [ya thats right i have favorites] and best students:

1. the ability to listen and apply [its amazing how so few children are not even capable of 'monkey see monkey do'] this is also directly related to number 2
2. having enough confidence in themselves to figure something out on their own.
3. have respect for authority figures [teachers and parents] while still being able to communicate and interact with them effectively and comfortably.

so, starting to realize that yes parenting is/will be hard. but if you know what the most important things are for setting up a child for a healthy and successful future then it wont feel like such a shot in the dark.

ok now go here because most of us dont have kids and dont need to worry about that for a long time and  this is adorable and has nothing to do with babies or kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment