Saturday, October 2, 2010

rest of the week

its a good thing i found this place that has really good salads here because spaniards seriously dont eat that many vegetables.

the rest of last week was really mellow i went to bed early every night, just trying to get as much rest as possible to adjust smoothly and not be exhausted. my eating pattern has changed a lot since i got here i generally sleep in too late for breakfast, so i'll have lunch and then a few small snacks for the rest of the day. i think that will change one i start going to school, it will be more like breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, snack (dinner).

I went out with Elena and Silvio and Kati last night. I had BASQUE FOOD!!! wow soo good!!! i had a really great late night donner kebab last night.

I met some more REALLY great spanish girls through my friend Kati on wednesday ( i think). Everyone is getting settled down in their apartments so its fun that we will all be able to visit each other in our "homes" soon.

I'm definitely starting to have a good idea about the layout of madrid. its fun getting to know a city.

yesterday was the "first" day of school. since i dont teach on fridays, i didnt attend any of my actually classes. i just shadowed  Natalia (the coordinator and a teacher) to all her classes. the kids are GREAT! i dont know if the spanish 6th graders are like this, or if its just kids at my school, but they are SO SWEET and not little punky brats like i was expecting 6th graders to be. because they kind of are in america. Its fun working with them because now I'm reflecting back on my time in school, and remembering Hillbrook and how great it was, and trying to incorporate what I learned there into what I will be doing with the kids. I was assigned to 1st graders, 4th graders, and 6th graders!!! i'm excited to be working with a variety of "age groups". I teach english, science, and MOSTLY ART CLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they had a full time art teacher but she retired, then the other teachers had to take over that, so the art program hasnt been that good. when they found out i was an architecture student, and i told them that I loved art class, they jumped on it (and so did I) and we decided i would help with the art classes mostly!!! i dont remember too much from hillbrook (not wood shop or ceramics), i just remember a self portrait and a still life, and this sock tracing thing... does anyone have any advice? im really excited, i'll be doing some research this weekend to figure out some plans!

today i am just staying at home and relaxing. my feet hurt from last night and i dont want to spend money. thats all for now, i'll write again with more updates as they come!
LOVE AND MISS YOU ALL LOADS!
XO

1 comment:

  1. ok so, Judy, the art teacher from hillbrook died late this august.

    ReplyDelete