Saturday, January 15, 2011

right-hand left-hand right-brain left-brain

I always wished I was left handed. I don't know why, it just seemed cooler to me. But in reality, my left hand is pretty useless. It lacks coordination in a very essential way. I think the most I use my left hand for is typing. I was trying to paint my nails today, and as always my left hand looks better than my right hand because my left hand sucks at painting the nails on my right hand. {and actually what i do when i'm painting my right hand is i hold the brush in the left hand but i end up moving my right hand underneath the brush to paint the nail...so the brush and my left hand  pretty much remain fixed! that's how much i hate using my left hand.}

Since my right hand has 24 years of experience over my left hand, I want to start forcing myself to use my left hand more so its more useful. I don't know why i care about this. i just do. it seems so insignificant in the scope of the world and of life.  but I have 2 hands and 2 arms and i basically only use 1. And i would like to use both. because I think that will be more efficient. I can start by doing small things like simply holding more things in my left hand. {i always carry things in my right hand/on my right arm} i brush my teeth using my right hand, i can easily switch that. just any small task that doesn't require THAT much coordination, i can start using my left hand for. and then I can start using my left hand for more coordinated things once I've got that down. 

All this talk about left vs right hand stuff got me thinking about brain dominance. My daddio sent me this a while back. Its really interesting. I think its good to understand how your brain works. It can help you do better in school, at work, in social situations, pretty much in every aspect of life. Also, it makes for an awesome conversation topic. It can also help you understand why your friends are the way they are sometimes. If you have a friend who is always late and you just can't understand WHY {they're probably right brain dominant}. Obviously, its not good to not be punctual, and they should work on improving that, but don't get too mad at them, apparently it's a birth defect {haha just kidding} it's just how they were born, it's how their brain is wired, and it's harder for them to be on time than you realize.

If you're not sure what side of your brain is dominant take this test. I'm 30% left brain and 70% right brain. The result gives you a really thorough explanation of your brain!

so, i did a load of laundry today in an attempt to check off some things from my post-travel-to-do-list ...and i put my cellphone charger through the wash...! what brain side dominant is THAT?? its no brain dominant. i guess when unpacking i pulled out my cellphone charger and dumped a bunch of clothes on top and when i scooped up the clothes to put in the wash, the charger came along! a good thing came of this though: now when i charge my phone it's with clean energy! (badam-ching! har-har...sorry, it had to be done) seriously though, the charger still works. and it's clean.

So, what side of your brain gives you bad taste in music? because there is a person in my apartment complex who is obsessed with this horrible good charlotte song. and i'm going on to the 4th day of hearing it on repeat all day. I have to keep on playing music in my room to drown it out. but sometimes i dont feel like listening to music. but i'd rather listen to anything that THAT HORRIBLE song. maybe I should rick roll this inconsiderate neighbor of mine? They definitely deserve it.  If i'm lying in my bed, the sound is coming from the upper right hand corner of my room. In architecture we have a term for this: structural born sound transmission. It's when sound gets transfered through the structure of a building. As opposed to air born sound transmission.  {speaking of architecture I'm putting together my portfolio!!! I'm excited by this. Though it does still feel a bit daunting, I want to start designing and being creative again. I've been feeling brain dead lately since I haven't been making or designing or creating things with my hands...this might have something to do with why i forced my friend josh to make his girlfriend a pillow for christmas...}

sorry had to hid his face for his privacy, but you can see he's SEWING!

he made a California shaped pillow with things sewn on  that represent his girlfriend
well, i didnt FORCE him, i highly highly highly recommended it. And then he got really into it and I got to help a little, but he did it like 99% all on his own! I was really proud of him!
 *     *     *     *
and time for a real update:
*I got my 5th (and hopefully last) bank card yesterday. it works, and I have hidden my camera charger so it can never again demagnetize anything.
*I got all my paperwork taken care of to get my NIE  on tuesday or friday.
*I'm going to get a cellphone contract with Vodaphone today! No more pay-as-you-go!
*i guess i left my window open again last night and woke up with a violent itching on my right hand's pinky knuckle and buzzing in my ear. and when i turned on the light i saw a nother HUGE juicy mosquito buzzing around my room. i tired to kill it, but i was too groggy and my reflexes were too slow, so i was never able to kill it. it just kept on buzzing around. so i left my door open and went completely under the covers {and over heated and nearly suffocated} because mosquitos love me and i think my body reacts more severely to the bites than most people. so that wasn't fun.

ok that's all for now...

1 comment:

  1. 56% Left brained, 46% Right brained....

    I once brought some Yumm! sauce home in a glass jar for my aunt, and I didn't want it to break on the ride home so I stuck in my laundry bag... Needless to say, I washed it with my clothes, took it out and washed my clothes again.

    ReplyDelete