Saturday, January 8, 2011

*NORDLYS*

I CANT BELIEVE I EVEN GET TO WRITE THIS POST!!!!
I saw the northern lights!!!  
THE NORTHERN LIGHTS!
THE ONES I'VE WANTED TO SEE FOR SOOO LONG. I did it! Actually, I didn't do it, I couldn't have done it without Trish, and her amazing friends in Bodø and Tromsø who were so generous and let us stay in their wonderful homes. And all the people around the world who were sending us positive vibes :)
  i still got to see them live, with my own eyes!

The Aurora Borealis was ::
alive. She teased us mercilessly, playing hide and seek for 2 weeks. We heard so many rumors... someone saw it in Tromsø when I first arrived to Oslo, it was in Bodø 2 hours before we arrived there, people saw it in Tromsø WHILE we were there...locals laughed at us when we said that's why we had ventured above the arctic circle...we wanted so badly to see Nordlys. 

She made us work for it, and finally, on the last night Nordlys showed herself.  She was the most graceful and majestic thing I have ever seen. She teased us at first showing herself as just a soft cloud-like glow, slightly green. And then she danced for us, just a little, in white and pink. We were hooked. 3 hours later she gave us the most stunning show we could have ever imagined in white, pink, purple, green and yellow. 

She is so beautiful and she knows it. She is fickle and arrogant. you cant predict her and you cant tame her.  Everything is on her terms. There is nothing you can do but just sit and admire her beauty when she chooses to treat you to it. You even think you can touch her she seems so close at times, like shes about to brush herself against your face, but she is 100's of kilometers above you. and you are shocked. overwhelmed. stunned. awe struck. it brings you to your knees and you know shes dancing only for you. She is a surprise every time. She looks like fire, like smoke, like light rays streaming through branches, she looks so familiar but unlike anything you've ever seen before.

As I was watching i felt full. I felt humbled. i felt healed. I forgot my burn, my sore throat, my aching foot, i even forgot the freezing cold. The experience will make you religious and it will make you cry. It reminds you that even in the darkest coldest parts of the world, the universe is still working. and I think its perfect that you can only see such an amazing phenomenon in one of the "most difficult" places on earth. It's hope.

No words or pictures can bring her justice, but here are some pictures anyway. I hope everyone gets to see her one day.














No comments:

Post a Comment