Saturday, May 14, 2011

from the edge of my window sill

actually the window is a bit taller than it seems, but the
parisian blinds have been pulled down about 1/3 of a way,
it really shows you how well they black out the sun though.

I'm writing this from the edge of my windowsill. In the living room of my adorable [and soon to be ex] apartment theres a big window; and this big window has an exterior window sill that's about 1.5 feet wide; in which I fit perfectly.  Sometimes, I open the window and sit on the windowsill and watch Paseo de la Florida and all the pedestians, and cars and cyclists, and trees, and clouds, and if I look straight down, I can see Behzad working at the persian restaurant down below. Luckily, no one ever thinks to look straight up, so no one ever sees me.

Today was one of those days where I never left the apartment [a rarity]. I woke up and started packing my things listening to "man on the moon" by REM on repeat, and soaking in a pool of melancholy: sad to leave, but leaving means summer is coming, and summer holds the opportunity of many wonderful memories just waiting to be made, I just can't wait to DO all these things...but the realization that the academic year went by so fast is surreal and somewhat saddening.

Katy and I had made plans to get together, but right as we were about to meet up the lovely weather turned, and we decided to cancel our plans. So I got my book "Norwegian Wood" [which I started back in December, but abandoned temporarily] I grabbed my laptop, I opened the windows and watched the stormy spring clouds roll in, and watched the hypnotizing movement of the leaves in the trees just outside my sill. The wind picked up but it was warm, and it smelled like sweet rain. So here i am, being splashed lightly by little rogue rain drops,  at the the border where the world meets my nest: at the edge of my window sill, 7 floors up.

1 comment:

  1. first of all, that photo is absolutely awesome! second, this post reminded me of the post card Francis writes in "under the tuscan sun" to the gay guy's mom.

    i loved this post.
    that is all.

    ReplyDelete