Wednesday, September 22, 2010

en route!

I'm in Toronto! freaking out a little because (as jackie pointed out earlier on the phone) there are spaniards all around me at the gate speaking spanish!!! i feel like my last experience in america was a little slap in the face, that made leaving just a little easier. They confiscated the AWESOME wine i hand picked from katy's winery in Sonoma to bring for Kacho, my cousins friend who is house hunting for me in Madrid. So now, i'm going empty handed. I was so excited to bring it for him. I dont know WHY i didnt apply the liquids rule to the wine!! i just thought since it was bottled and totally sealed and corked that it would be fine! those idiots! i seriously am so furious with whatever jerk tried to make a bomb on an airplane with the liquid he carried on, he didnt succeed in his mission thank fully, but he did succeed in making the flying/traveling experience VERY ANNOYING. and i'm blaming him for Kacho not receiving his wine. It gives me solace knowing he's still in jail somewhere for doing that.
on a brighter note... I was very calm on the airplane, I was expecting the oh-so-familiar butterflies and heart palpitations i've been experiencing all week. but none. I think i thought I was just flying back to Eugene or something. I dont think I actually comprehended where I was going. and even now, i'm still not sure if i really GET that i'm in Toronto waiting to go to Spain for a YEAR!!! i watched Shrek: Ever After (daddy aren't you proud?) on the plane. And though I was strangely calm, i did almost cry 4 times throughout the movie.... I thought it was supposed to be a children's animation movie, not a tear jerker! ;)  maybe I wasnt as calm as i thought i was. hahaha.

On the map with the little airplane indicating our progress I saw portland, san francisco, seattle, denver, austin, detroit, dc... I (mentally) bid farewell one last time to all my loved ones scattered across all those cities, and I entertained the thought of living in some of them in the future (after spain).

I'm so excited about the year to come. Every cell in my body is 100% sure this is absolutely my dream coming true, and that there really is nothing else I would rather do than this...but I still catch myself sometimes, thinking: "Shayan, what the HELL are you doing?!?"

i guess we'll see!
xo

p.s. my last meal in America was Mexican food (a burrito) I know I will miss it dearly. (but it still doesnt compare to Ghorme Sabzi! :)  )

1 comment:

  1. Haha, yes you can take wine on the plane IF you buy it at the airport after you have been through security :) Tip for coming home.....
    I love this post! So cute, and I caught myself saying the same thing coming to Bolivia, but yours is more intense in a different way because you left for a year! I am so proud of you!! And so honestly jealous that it wasn't good timing for me to go with! I wish I could come visit, I just need the money and I would totally do it! Maybe I'll put aside money from every paycheck to just get the ticket and then I'll sleep on the floor when I get there...haha! :)

    ReplyDelete