Wednesday, February 16, 2011

words i like

Lewis Carroll is awesome.
Read Alice in wonderland and Through the looking glass back in high school (about 8 years ago already JEEZ!), some of my all time favorites, especially, since it's a story i've known since I was very little. Jabberwocky: had that poem memorized by the ripe ol' age of 6 in Mrs. Doodakian's 1st grade class. I love literary nonsense...which also explains why i revel in e.e. cummings' poetry...
...this all makes sense considering half of my genetic make up comes from my faja (obviously) he is so brilliantly creative (it just makes you want to scream [and no, that's not biased]) which is why I believe he has such a strong command of nonsense...growing up with his jokes and nonsense its no wonder i ended up a fan of literary nonsense and e.e. cummings' poetry.


I was looking for a quote by Mr. Carroll (actually that was his pen name his real name is Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) the other day and I ended up finding a bunch more quotes some of which I had never read and some of which i simply didnt remember, probably because I was 16 when I read them, and they just didn't mean anything to my unfledged brain...I'm thinking i should go back and re-read some of his stuff... maybe you should too:

✏ Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it.
His answer trickled through my head like water through a sieve.
I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then.
Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle.
“Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to stay in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!”
“She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)”
"You used to be much more...'muchier.' You've lost your 'muchness'."
and THEN:
I was listening to Animal Collective this morning and heard Summertime Clothes. This song makes me nostalgic for every summer I've ever had. Animal Collective, though they satisfy my brain and ears with their words and sounds, do not satisfy my eyes with their video. I think most people who aren't baked out of their minds might agree.





Lyrics:
Sweet summer night and I'm stripped to my sheets
Forehead is leaking, my AC squeaks and
A voice from the clock says, "You're not gonna get tired"
My bed is a pool and the walls are on fire
Soak my head in the sink for a while
Chills on my neck and it makes me smile but
My bones have to move and my skin's gotta breathe
You pick up the phone and I'm so relieved
You slide down your stairs to the heated street
And the sun has left us with slippery feet
And I want to walk around with you
And I want to walk around with you
And be here with you, we're goin'


It doesn't really matter, I'll go where you feel
Hunt for the breeze, get a midnight meal
I point in the windows, you point out the parks
Rip off your sleeves and I'll ditch my socks
We'll dance to the songs from the cars as they pass
Weave through the cardboard, smell that trash
Walking around in our summertime clothes,
Know where to go when our bodies go
And we'll greet the dawn in its morning blues (☜-the bold is my favorite part)
With purple yawns, you'll be sleeping soon

And I want to walk around with you


And I want to walk around with you


When the sun goes down, we'll go out again
Don't cool off, I like your warmth


Let's leave the sound of the heat for the sound of the rain
It's easy to sleep when it wets my brain
It covers my rest with a saccharine sheen
Kissing the wind through my window screen
The restlessness calls us, that I cannot hide
So much on my mind that it spills outside
Do you want to go stroll down the financial street?
Our clothes might get soaked, but the buildings sleep
And there's no one pushing for a place
As we end up at an easy pace
And I want to walk around with you
And I want to walk around with you
I want to walk around with you
Just you, just you, just you...




Needless to say i'm craving summer...
...mmk off to the gym!
XX

4 comments:

  1. as soon as I saw the word 'Jabberwocky' I was instantly taken back in time to Ms. Doodakian's class. that was a nostalgiac moment if there ever was one. I also remember having to recite 'Little Orphan Annie'. It's amazing the things we remember over the years. To this day I can still recite both poems word for word.

    (I also LOVE your blog Shayan. I think it's amazing and very inspirational. It's wonderful to see where all of us have ended up over the years after my not having seen anyone since the Hillbrook days. I can see your heart and soul in the words you write and I want to thank you for sharing them. Keep it up.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, After 18 or so years of writing papers, and taking tests, and SATs, and college applications, and school subjects, and classes, and all the other things life could possibly throw in our paths, our brains still retain the words to "little orphan annie" and "jabberwocky"...i realize more and more every day what a crucial role Hillbrook played in making me who i am today. You seem to feel the same way, which is just further confirmation of this.

    wow! "inspirational"! i'm so flattered, Carolyn. After so many years, thank you for caring enough to read my collection of scattered thoughts...seriously, thank you, it means more to me than you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really knew much about this blog stuff until one day I stumbled across Camillas blog and decided to take a look. I immediately "followed" her blog and decided to make a blog of my own. Then I somehow stumbled across your blog and once again immediately "followed" you. The things the both of you write about have helped me deal with every day things. Like I said before, you're so inspirational in so many ways and I'm so glad that I was able to find your blog. I think it's amazing everything you've accomplished. It's people like you that give me hope that I will one day accomplish all of my own goals in life. I hope you continue to enjoy the hell out of Spain and keep living your life to the fullest 'cause it seems to be going great for you! Can't wait to read what's next... And if you ever find yourself back in Cali, feel free to look me up. Have an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you would have come to a choir concert of mine at the UO. We sang Jabberwocky ;)

    ReplyDelete