Thursday, February 17, 2011

a confusing human interaction

On the bus home yesterday, after my private lesson, there was a very very old man sitting across the isle from me, next to him was his granddaughter. He kept on looking over at me, very very obviously, i was getting irritated, because i generally dont like being stared at. and i was quite tired from the day so i just decided to sleep. i crossed my left arm over my bag that was on my lap and rested my head in my propped-up-right hand, trying to hide as much of my face as possible from the man. i fell asleep for about 10 minutes, and woke up as the bus pulled into the bus station. as i collected myself, the old man reached across the isle and put his hand on my knee, not in a creepy way, in a genuinely concerned way, and asked me "are you ok? has something happened to you?" i didnt understand why he would ask me that. I knew i didnt look haggard. i was so shocked. i explained that i was "just tired, and nothing was wrong". he looked at me worriedly before looking away quickly to gather his things/his granddaughter, and to step out of his seat into the isle to exit, and before he left he stopped, looked at me, and said bye.

I've thought about this quite a bit, and I still can't make any sense of it. I just do not understand what he saw, or why he cared so much to worry about a complete stranger for 20 minutes, to actually reach across the isle and touch someone, or what he thought he could possibly do if there actually had been something wrong...

1 comment:

  1. Oooooo....I can see why that would really stick with you. I'm sure the look in his eyes did it. Wow. Maybe he was reading your dialect of body language incorrectly, mistaking it for Spanish body language...

    ReplyDelete